The Health Department is asking anyone who fits the criteria listed here to have a Syphilis test…
- A rash on the palms of the hands or on the soles of the feet, back, chest, or stomach
- A lesion (red sore) in the genital, rectal, or oral area
- Moist papules in the mouth
- Sudden scalp alopecia (loss of hair)
- Sudden loss of eyelashes and eyebrows
- Swelling of the lymph nodes
- A recent positive test for another STD such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, HIV or Hepatitis C
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection. If it goes untreated, it can lead to serious health problems including paralysis, blindness, and dementia. However, Syphilis is 100% curable with simple antibiotics.
Syphilis is spread through direct contact with a Syphilis sore during vaginal, anal, or oral sex. You can get Syphilis and not have any symptoms so the only way to know for sure you’re not infected is to get tested.
Several locations around the state have free Syphilis testing. Click on this link to find free testing at a State Health Centers.
To find out more about Syphilis, go to www.cdc.gov/std/syphilis/stdfact-syphilis.htm